Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Retraction and apology

As reported July 15, I was mistaken in my reporting about business connections between L.H. Gray and Son Ltd. and Nutri Ouef.  I apologize for any embarrassment this has caused.

A lawyer for L.H. Gray and Son Ltd. informs me that Scott Brookshaw did not tell reporter Mary Baxter what she reported on the Better Farming website.  I telephoned Mr. Brookshaw to ask whether that quote was accurate, and he did not respond.  The lawyer writes " the fact that Mr. Brookshaw would not return your calls is irrelevant."  He adds that "now that you know that the statements were not made by Mr. Brookshaw and based on erroneous information, you have an obligation to apologize and retract this statement."

And so, I apologize for repeating the report that Mr. Brookshaw believes an employee wrote a letter to the Ontario Ministry of Labour which led to an investigation and temporary closure of an egg-grading facility until safety guards were installed.

I also apologize for reporting that Gray Ridge is "skirting on the edge of regulations which carry sanctions to those who threaten or intimidate employees to provide information to Federal or Provincial Inspection Services."