Friday, October 4, 2024

AgWeb offers combine window cleaning tips


 

AgWeb, an on-line and farmer magazine business, has gathered tips from farmers on keeping combine windows clean.


One farmer said long-handled rubber squeegee might reduce problems with fine dust clinging to window glass. 


Using spray-on window cleaner and then rubbing with paper towels seems to create a static charge that actually attracts dust. 


My experience is that using a professional-quality rubber squeegee minimizes potential for adding a static electric charge to the window.

Use a bucket of water with a little Dawn Dish Soap to soak the glass before squeegeeing. Plus, squeegeeing with a long-handled tool is faster than hand-wiping a big window.


Another recommended using ground chains to reduce the need for window washing. 


One theory is that all the rubber belts spinning in sheaves and pulleys generate a static electric charge within a combine’s metalwork. 


One fall I attached a short length of log chain to the frame of a combine and let it drag for several inches on the ground. I couldn’t tell if it was making any difference in the cleanliness of the windows until one afternoon when the windows suddenly clouded over with dust in less than an hour’s time. 


That evening, I noticed that the bolt holding my ground chain had come loose and the chain was missing. I put on a new chain, and the next day my windows stayed noticeably less dusty.


“I have dragged a chain [behind my equipment] for 20 years,” says Heath Petersen. “Not saying it’s everyone’s answer, but I only clean my windows if it rains.”


When it comes to ground chains, remember the following: 

 

  • The chain must be bolted to bare metal on the frame and located so it drags between the rows for better contact with bare soil. 
  • Because of the amount of crop residue, ground chains work better in soybeans than in corn. 
  • A heavy chunk of log chain works best, with the extra weight keeping it in contact with the ground.


Terry Christensen says the soft-bristled brush is a “great” option when you need something that’s quick and easy in the busy season. He says you can find these brushes at most auto part stores.


According to Nathan Reed, the brush can be used on the hard-to-reach back window, facing the hopper.


“On my Case combines, the window tilts toward the inside,” Reed said. “When I have to stop on the end to dump, I pop it open and run the duster over it.” 


Rain-X, used to repel rain, sleet and snow, works for Jerry McCulley.


Brett Schultz uses anything laying around, such as his wife’s best dress -not! – and Leonard Reuby uses old white t-shirts.