Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Robinson named to Senate



 Mary Robinson of Prince Edward Island and past president of the Canadian Federation of Agriculture has been appointed to the Senate.


She is currently vice-president of the World Farmers’ Organization.


She will serve as an independent Senator, as is the case with all appointments made by the Liberals.


Robinson is a sixth-generation farmer through her involvement as a managing partner in Robinson Group of Companies which includes farms, P.E.I. Agromart and Island Lime.


"I'm quite relieved that I don't have to keep keeping the secret," she said when reached by CBC News late Monday. "I have to say, I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of calls and texts and emails and reach-outs that I've had... It's been really heartwarming and exciting."


Robinson said (Prime Minister Justin) Trudeau called her just over a week ago to ask if she would be interested in the Governor General naming her to the Senate. 


The Canadian constitution entitles Prince Edward Island to four Senators and it has had only three since May, 2021, when Mike Duffy resigned.