"It's my role to report. It's your role to press for reforms"
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Ducks Unlimited dinner sickens 57
Fifty-seven diners attending a Ducks Unlimited event fell ill, reports the Middlesex-London Health Unit.
It was a fund-raising dinner for Strathroy-Caradoc Ducks Unlimited at the Strathroy Portuguese Canadian Club pm March 30.
“We don’t know the micro-organism yet. We haven’t had lab confirmation of anything yet, but all of their symptoms were gastrointestinal, diarrhea and vomiting.
“Some had a fever, some had nausea,” Mary Lou Albanese, the health unit’s infectious disease control team manager, is quoted by the London Free Press.
An inspection two days later identified five infractions including one deemed critical because it had the potential to pose an immediate food-borne illness.
The inspector found the facility failed to maintain pest control measures, didn’t have a trained food handler supervising the kitchen and didn’t ensure utensils, equipment and facilities were properly cleaned and sanitized.
The inspector’s report also found a design problem with the dishwasher and wrote that the kitchen’s walls and ceilings weren’t kept clean and in good repair.
I wonder what was in the previous five health unit inspection reports.