A rash of serious food poisonings of patrons of a Markham restaurant has prompted the Canadian Food Inspection Agency to issue a recall for Keampferia Galanga Powder which was used as a spice
It contained aconitine, a spice that comes from the roots of a Monkshood, also known as Wolfsbane, or Keampfeira, which is a poisonous plant.
A dozen people became ill and four ended up in hospital in intensive care.
York Region health unit issued a warning about the contaminated spice days before the CFIA posted a recall on its website.
The CFIA said food contaminated with aconitine may not look or smell spoiled but can still make you sick.
Symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, dizziness, weakness, irregular heart beats, and in severe cases, death.
The onset of symptoms is rapid.