The OIE, the international organization for animal health, has adopted a plan to help countries deal with antibiotic resistance.
The plan calls for governments to:
- regulate the manufacture, circulation and use of antimicrobials in animals, according to international standards;
- train animal health professionals;
- communicate to raise awareness among stakeholders;
- ensure veterinary supervision of antimicrobial use in animal health;
- monitor antimicrobial use and the development of resistance.