The Agricultural Producers Association of Canada is asking for help to cope with the drought and heat that have devastated crops.
The association wants:
- Increased help via the AgriStability federal-provincial supports program, including extending deadlines and increasing support levels.
- Help to obtain water supplies and water management.
- Extension of the federal Livestock tax deferral plan to the4 entire province.
- Establishment of a committee to keep an ongoing watch on the crisis. It would include representatives from the federal and provincial governments and the agriculture industry.
- Crop insurance permission to convert crops for forage and silage or grazing.
The call for AgriStability improvements comes after Saskatchewan spurned proposals put before a meeting of federal, provincial and territorial governments to do just that.Saskatchewan, Alberta and Manitoba said it would cost more than they were willing to pay.